Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'm just wearing this. It's still me.


T Family Rule: Cross-dress all you want, but you can be sure I'm getting a blackmail picture. 

Stinky wore this at preschool, while driving cars around.  It was a kind of awesome preschool day, kids cross-dressing and cursing (F was the letter of the day. What starts with the fff sound?).  Like he did on Halloween, when in costume, he was quick to correct people "I'm just wearing this costume.  I'm still me."  

Sunday was hard.  Mom crying in empty church classrooms hard. Part of it was bad choices on his part, the effects of time change, and a conflict that I don't look forward to addressing, but has gone on long enough. Both boys were sent to nap immediately after we returned home, while WBH and I regrouped and discussed the fiscal benefits of eating our young.  (It's a good thing they're a tax credit.  Meat is expensive) That night, with Rotten in bed, Stinky was back to himself.  Having lost screens and other privileges that day, he became a one-man art machine, helped me bake cookies, and went to bed easily. 

Monday, he was like a different kiddo.  He was helpful, and kind. He listened.  We spoke to an elderly woman as Stinky pet her dog at a store.  She told us that the dog was her only family since her sons had died.  He quickly said "I'm sorry that happened to you.  That's very sad."  He was helpful and kind to his brother.  Then, when we got home, he put himself to bed.  Monday, his attitude changed, as if to say "I was just wearing the naughty kid costume yesterday.  I'm still me."  It would be easier if he could just put on a villain's costume, though, to remind me that those choices aren't the real him- the empathetic, incredibly likable kid, full of creativity and kindness. 

5 comments:

Tina said...

I like the prespective you are sharing here. I am going to have to remember this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Becky Home-ecky said...

Can you believe how hard this is? Keep up the good work.

Elizabeth said...

I really liked this post. It was really well written. I'll have to remember this as I'm dealing with students. We all have "Its still me" days.

M said...

Good job not eating your young, Mama Rae.

Aren't those humble pie days awful? You're not alone...we all have them. Maybe they're there to make the normal days all the sweeter. I don't know. But I'm glad that Stinky is back to being a good kid.

balloongal said...

Oh, kids. I know it. We like to call Jr. "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."