Friday, September 11, 2009

I make ugly pie: a recipe

I wish I had a picture of this, I could have had a picture of this, but I don't make pretty pies. I'm still learning. The pie I made earlier this week was delicious and ugly. Let's focus on delicious.

Oat Pastry: (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens)

2 Cups flour
1/2 C quick cooking oats
1 tsp salt
2/3 C cold shortening or butter
8-10 T of cold water

Mix dry ingredients, then cut in pastry with pastry cutter, or blend in food processor. Add water and mix with fork one tablespoon at a time, until dough is completely moistened. Put in refridgerator until ready to use.

Pie Filling - This isn't exact,
6-8 large granny smith apples, peeled and chopped into large pieces
1/3 cup flour
1/2 sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (or allspice, or pumpkin pie spice- whatever you find first!)

Caramel Sauce (get it from the ice cream toppings in the grocery store)

Preheat oven to 475 Mix dry ingredients and add to apples. Stir until all apples are evenly coated. . Roll out half of pastry and put in pie plate. Dump in filling. Do top of crust in your preferred method (for this, I like lattice. Again, it's not pretty yet, but it does allow more caramel to seep into the pie). Brush top with egg. Place foil on top of the pie to prevent overbrowning (Coat the foil with non-stick spray first. Learn from my mistake!) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 35-45 minutes more until top is golden.

Once you remove the pie from the oven, drizzle 2-3 cup of the sauce over the pie while it's hot. Allow it to cool, then add caramel sauce to taste when you serve. Enjoy!

2 comments:

theballoonguy said...

My wife is next to me going... mklah, mklah, mklah... hmm maybe I should just say she's smacking her lips.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, that sounds so good.