Friday, October 28, 2011

Help the ONE.


I was listening to the news on the radio after preschool drop off.  The hosts were discussing the "Occupy" protesters, and what it is they're after.  Earlier that morning, I'd seen my friend steve post a picture of the protesters side by side with a picture of starving third-world children.  It was on my mind, the reminder that even in hard and frustrating times, we are privileged to live as we do.  So, I started a facebook group.  I wrote :

My name is Rachael, and like you, I'm a part of the 99%.  I'm frustrated about the economy, unethical business, and the fact that my family scrapes by while basketball and football players have tantrums demanding more money.  However, I'm not here to take a stand, or occupy anything.  I believe that both sides of the argument can agree: there is always someone worse off. 


If 99% of Americans took one day, one afternoon, or one hour to stop taking sides and help someone else, we could accomplish so much.  We might not change national policy, or cause a massive economic shift- but we might change someone's life. 


I'm committing, and asking you to commit, to serving some ONE on November 11, 2011 (11.11.11)  I won't reccomend any cause in particular.  Choose what you're passionate about, or where you can meet a need.  Please share our photo and pass on this challenge.  Let's "be the change we wish to see in the world."  


So, I hope you'll join me in this challenge.  There is always someone who needs help.  If you can't give money, give time.  Donate things you aren't using to an organization that will be able to reach those who need them.  Help a neighbor.   Do something.   Right now this group is holding at 40 members.  I would love to see it reach 100 by the 11th- a symbol that our efforts reach past the 99/1 percent divide.

1 comment:

M said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's EXACTLY how it's supposed to work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with national policy and everything to do with our communities and our families. Well, done, Friend.

I would join but I killed my Facebook...so take this as my commitment to do something on 11/11 to help some ONE.