Monday, November 30, 2009

I Made it Monday: Advent Garland



A friend posted a link to a really cute Garnet Hill advent garland with crocheted mittens and hats. It's really adorable, but a little out of my budget this Christmas. I decided to make my own, and I think it's really cute. Would you like a tutorial? I wish the pictures were better, but we're not getting a lot of good natural light right now.


Okay, here's the part I forgot to take pictures for: Choose 4-5 fat quarters of Christmas fabric. Or one, or 24, whatever you like. I used 5. Cut a 6 by 22 inch strip off the top of each and iron on some interfacing. Find a mitten template on Google images (I used this one) and trace it onto the interfacing. Cut out all 24 mittens.





Run a stay stitch along the top of each mitten- because it will get some wear and tear from pulling things out of the mitten, this will help protect it. Chain stitching is fun, and saves time and thread. If you don't want to use it as an advent calendar, you can skip this step and sew around the top of the mittens when you machine sew it.

Pin each mitten to a coordinating felt.


Machine sew around the edges. I reccomend starting at the thumbs. A straight stitch will give you a raw edge, which I like, but if you zigzag around it, that would work, too.


Cut them out, hang a ribbon and use clothespins to hang them. I love how it turned out.
I've tucked a slip of paper in each, prompting a Christmas activity for the day. You can see that list here





6 comments:

Kevin said...

Very, very cute!

Kari said...

Super Cute! I made one last year out of a mini muffin tin, with scrapbook paper and magnets. I saw it at a store for $60 and decided I could make it.

balloongal said...

That's so cute.

Tina said...

So cute! I love it!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

how darling! i love it!

Anonymous said...

So cute, so many great ideas. I'll probably make this for next year.

I'm behind on blogging, but I just want you to know how much I enjoy reading yours.

Thanks for taking the time to do it all.

Wendy