Friday, August 24, 2012

Happy Birthday, Rotten One

Two years ago, Rotten's arrival happened in a way that would foreshadow a lot of his personality.  When he surprised me by arriving eight days before my scheduled c-section, I kept saying to him "this was not the plan, little guy"  and when he was born, he came out yelling.  He yelled at us for an hour, as if to let us know that it wasn't his plan either.  He gave us this look for a  days after.  Somedays, he still does. 

Hours old. 

 1st birthday 


2 years old. 


Dear  Rotten, 

Some days you are still such a mystery to me.  The way that you live life on your own terms confounds, awes, and sometimes makes me absolutely crazy.  Still, I can't imagine you any other way.  You are so clever, so funny, such a flirt and a tease.  I'm so happy you are a part of our family.  Crazy as it can make me, I love the way you shake things up, the way you taught me that I know absolutely nothing.  I love your passion for books, the way you simultaneously adore your brother and want to boss him around.  I know that your stubbornness and drive for the things you want will someday be your greatest assets, but today, you are living up to the words you said to everyone today: "I'm two!" You bring so much joy to our family, in a way that no one else could.  We love you.  Happy Birthday, Rotten one. 

Love, Mama 

1 comment:

Chiconky said...

Such a sweet face! Happy Birthday Rotten!