Monday, November 3, 2008

I'm Making It Monday: quilted mixed media nativity wall hanging- what a mouthful!




This is my mother's Christmas gift- in progress. I first traced the image (a coloring page I found on the internet and and enlarged), then painted by numbers. After gluing on the ribbon, I am now quilting through the ribbons to give more texture. Hand-quilting through three layers of fabric, batting, paint, ribbon and glue is not fun and leads to some sore fingers. But it looks so nice. I'm still deciding if I'll add embroidery to this around the blue border. After the 'internal' quilting is done, I'm adding a gold ribbon border next to the picture portion.

It's hard to tell in this picture, but I've quilted most of the area around Joseph. Oh, and the next time anyone hears me say "I had this idea for a really cool mixed media piece..." I want you to smack me right on the face.

I haven't been good about blogging. Last week was really busy prepping for Halloween, but I'll catch up this week. Tomorrow I'll fill you in on Stinky's "International Incident" at church. It's a doozy!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I think it is beautiful! Way to go!

Rachel said...

WOW! you're so talented! ... making the rest of us look bad... thanks for that! jk! cant wait to hear about stinky's incident! helps me know what i'm looking forward too in the future!