Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Time to hit the gym, or so it seems.

I don't speak Spanish, but my husband does, and uses it quite frequently. He works with native Spanish speakers one period a day at school, so his is quite fluent. Because I know him and his inflections, I can often pick up on what's being said.

So when I was walking in front of the two guys speaking it in the mall yesterday, I had a pretty good clue what was being said. And I wish I hadn't. It was the wrong day to hear "She's a little fat." I asked Chris to say that phrase in Spanish and confirmed it. I'm embarassed to admit that I went home and cried for a while.

Fortunately, I had upped my free membership at the Y where I work to an extended membership, allowing me access to the Y's closer to home for a few bucks a month. This was done in part for me, but also in part to allow Stinky to have somewhere to get his endless energy out - they have Mommy/Tot Aerobics classes! It looks like tomorrow I'll be working out, and thinking twice about the Laffy Taffy in the pumpkin jar.

3 comments:

S said...

I hear ya on that one. I'm pretty sure thats what my vietnamese hairstylist and her sister are saying about me everytime I go in. Notice that my hair is about 2 feet long. Are you going to the Y on 12th and Pearl? We'd be happy to meet up with you sometime.

Anonymous said...

It's times like those that you wish you knew it so you could surprise and humiliate them with the classic line, "I may be fat, but you're ugly--and I can diet."
Muhahahaha! Take that, el stupidos.

I think you look great, Rachael!

Wendy

Kimbooly said...

Awwe. That's terrible. Those guys had no idea you could understand spanish.

I don't know, though, I think I'd rather hear what someone is really saying about me, that they're not willing to say to my face. Even if it hurt.

But either way, what a terrible thing to happen to you. I would have been embarrased, and cried too. And, of course, out of embarrasment, re-started an exercise plan right away.