Saturday, September 13, 2008

Book of Mormon Stories

Each day we spend at home, I take a minute to do a little bit of scripture reading with Stinky. My mom found the old scripture readers in their family room and passed them on to us. Stinky loves reading enough that I'd give them a try , and it's been a success. Somedays are shorter than the others, but other days he likes to sit and thumb through the pages with me. We start with a prayer, and always ask for Stinky to understand what we're reading. Then we read as much as he'll go for out of a section I've chosen (I'm selective- we read about Jesus' birth, but not so much about Herod killing babies. He's still little).

The other day, he was content to cuddle and thumb through after we'd read all I'd planned on that day, and we came across a picture of Jesus in Gethsemene. He said "Jesus?" I said "Yes, he loves you very much." He stared for a moment, and then gave me the biggest hug I'd had in a long time. I was very proud in that moment. We can't get through an entire sacrament meeting, but I can help to teach him at home, and help him feel the spirit here.

3 comments:

Wendy A. Jones said...

That is so sweet. It's times like that that make up for the screaming-in-the-middle-of-the-store times.

Andi said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog... I cannot get over "Stinky", what a fun name! ;)

Kari said...

Doens't a moment like that make everything so worth it?