Wednesday, October 21, 2009

D is for dinosaurs

They're Stinky's favorite thing. Today he sang to me "I'm the biggest carnivore in the cray-shuss (cretaceous) forest! Teeeeeeeeee-REX" Thank you, Dinosaur Train.

He can identify, and knows the names of the usual suspects- t-rex, brachiosaurus, triceratops - but sometimes he likes to throw us for a loop with pachycephalosaurus, deinonicus and one day last week, copralite. I'll admit, we pull that out for parties sometimes.

We read dinosaur books: "What if a dinosaur catches the flu? Does he whimper and whine in between each achoo?" We listen to the DinoFive from Baby Loves HipHop: "I may be big and scary but I'm really pretty nice." At least 3 birthday and Christmas presents are dinosaur-themed. We wear dinosaur shirts. He has 6 that I can think of off the top of my head.

We wear dinosaur backpacks.....


Dinosaur Costumes...

And when friends are coming over, while mommy is planning to make a cake with a pretty fall leaf, we beg for a dinosaur cake....

...and we get it.
What's nice is, we parents are learning, too. Stinky and WBH watch discovery channel together, and learned that there's a possibility that groups of dinosaur species may be one species, but at different ages. Who knew?
What are your little (or not- so-little) ones focused in on now?

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Tyler loves to point out big cars, he calls them trucks for the most part but he also knows the buses and trains and airplanes. It is fun except when you are driving he starts screaming because he sees a big truck and you don't know whats going on.

balloongal said...

Pachycephalosaurus. That's impressive.
Jr. is into pumpkins lately, as we're getting ready for Halloween. Jeremy made one out of construction paper to fit in our rounded window, and Jr. loves it. After family prayer in the morning everyone says something they're grateful for, and Jr.'s lately- pumpkins. Every morning. Hey, he's welcome to be grateful for pumpkins.

twiddyfam said...

Since my niece was born, my littlest is focused on babies. He keeps telling me that he wants one. He points out all the babies at the store, story-time at the library, and at church. I ask him if mommy needs to have a baby and he's says, yes a small one, I'm a big one.

Kari said...

He is the cutest dinosaur I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

There's a great song on the new They Might Be Giants cd (Here Come Science) called, "I am a Palentologist." We were listening to it in the car the other day and my nine-year-old said, "When they've found all the dinosaur bones in the earth, then palentologists will be extinct."

I love the dinosaur stage.