Friday, April 17, 2009

Why do I pay for this?

There are some things I'm shocked that I shell out money for. Fast food, for example. I always regret it, and I always wonder why I've paid to feel that gross post-McDonald's feeling. Add jam to that list, now. I made my own today, and I think I'm ruined for anyother jam now.

Strawberry Jam, adapted from Someone's in the Kitchen with Mommy by Elaine Magee

1 cup cold water
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 pints fresh, sliced strawberries,
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 lemon juice

In a large pot, stir gelatin in to water and let sit for one minute. Bring to a boil for five minutes. Add remaining ingredients, and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes, mashing and stirring occasionally. Pour into a bowl, and allow to cool down before putting jam into containers. Place in the fridge until set. That's it.

It's so good. We had it with dinner, on challah bread (which WBH called "probably the prettiest bread we've ever had" He's a keeper.) . Best of all? It's just one WW point for a quarter cup of this stuff! Which makes your average serving practically nothing!

2 comments:

M said...

Oh man, Challah is one of my all time FAVORITE breads. I can't have it in the house because it's ALL I eat. That is dangerous there, Rae.

Becky Home-ecky said...

So basically, in a fit of desperation, you could eat an entire 1/4 c. of jam and be okay? Hmmmmmm......